Financial Aid

The Law School receives funding from state, federal and private sources to assist students in financing their legal education. The Student Finance office reviews and manages the financial aid packages awarded to our students. Awards include the following types of assistance. The Student Finance Office assists students in obtaining financing necessary to attend UConn Law.

Financial Aid Packages

J.D. - The Student Finance Office is responsible for creating the financial aid awards for all eligible students. Financial aid packages contain resources up to the cost of attendance (COA). Packages could include scholarships, grants, loans, federal work-study and alternate loans. Scholarships are made by the admissions committee. All need based aid is awarded by the Student Finance Office.

LL.M. Domestic - Eligible domestic LL.M. students are eligible for financial aid. Financial aid packages will contain resources up to the COA. Packages could include scholarships, loans and alternate loans. Scholarship offers are made by the LL.M. admissions team.

International J.D. and LL.M. - State and federal resources fund the vast majority of our scholarships. As such, international students are ineligible for grant assistance. There are some private sources available for international students. All scholarship offers are made by the appropriate admissions office.

How to Apply

Students and applicants should follow the instructions on the How to Apply tab above to complete their financial aid applications for the 2016-2017 school year. Any student with questions should contact the Office of Student Finance by emailing or by calling 860-570-5147.
Read more on How to Apply for Financial Aid »

Policies, Forms, Exit Counseling & Additional Resources

The Student Finance Office maintains information on policies, forms, exit counseling and other resources for current and prospective students in the Student Portal.
Read more on Financial Aid in the Student Portal »

Students should apply for financial aid as soon as practical after January 1, 2016. The priority deadline for grant funding has been extended to April 1, 2016 for new J.D. students and May 20, 2016 for returning students. The deadlines are mandatory, even if a student has not yet received an offer of admission from the Admissions Office. Funding for grants is limited. Students who apply for grant assistance and submit all required forms after this deadline will be considered for grants based on available funding. If funding is available, late applications may be considered for grants in October 2016. Students who are unable to meet the deadline will be considered for loans only.

Application Forms

All students applying for grants and/or loans must submit the following forms/items to the Student Finance Office:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (2016-2017; FAFSA - Title IV School Code: E00387. This will be available 1/1/16.)  Estimated income figures may be used if the student's tax return is not completed by the above deadlines. The student must indicate on the FAFSA that the income figures are estimated.

University of Connecticut School of Law Application for Financial Assistance (2016-2017). Unsigned or incomplete forms will be returned to the student and may possibly result in a late application.

Additional Requirements

In order to receive a final award students must submit the following:

  1. Student's 2015 Federal (or Puerto Rican) tax return. Copies of all schedules and forms filed with the student's (and spouse's) tax return must be submitted. If a 2015 federal tax return was not/will not be filed, a Statement of Non-Filing Form must be submitted. All tax returns and 1040 PC forms, must be signed. IRS Form 8453 for electronic filing is not acceptable. A student who owns a business must submit all corporate and partnership returns (including 2015 Forms 1065 and Schedules K). Please do not submit tax worksheets or state income tax returns.  A student who did not file a requested tax return for any year must complete a Statement of Non-Filing Form and submit verification of any income received (W-2 forms).
  2. Documentation of untaxed income. Documentation of 2015 untaxed income, including child support (a copy of the court order), Social Security, or money paid on the student's behalf (for rent, food, utilities, personal expenses, tuition and fees, insurance, etc.) must be submitted. When documenting money paid on a student's behalf for the 2015 calendar year (1/1/15-12/31/15), a detailed statement from the payer is required. This includes any money that was contributed by parents, even if the parents are no longer paying bills on a student's behalf.
  3. Other Documentation. Upon review of a student's application, further information may be requested. This may include, but is not limited to: a copy of a lease; a copy of a divorce decree or separation agreement; verification of medical bills and/or mortgage debt; date and amount of purchase of real estate; balance of assets; and an expense statement for 2015.

A file is not considered complete until all information requested has been received and reviewed. Please submit all parts of the financial aid application, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FAFSA, to the Student Finance Office.