The commencement ceremony will begin at 10:30 a.m. and end at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Students should follow the following timeline:
9:00 a.m.: Students report to the Library Student Lounge. Staff will be available to assist with robing and the folding of the hood. Students should not wear their hood. It should be carried over the left forearm, with the velvet neckband on the outside. The tassel goes on the left side (the wearer’s left).
9:45 a.m.: A class photo will be taken in front of the Library.
10:00 a.m.: After the class photo has been taken, students will pick up their name cards at the tables outside the library, and then line-up in alphabetical order. The name cards will also be numbered to help students find their place in line.
10:30 a.m.: The herald trumpeters will begin to play and the formal procession will begin. The order of the procession is as follows: J.D. Flag Bearers; Mace Bearer; Floor Marshals; S.J.D. Flag Bearer (if applicable); S.J.D. Candidates (if applicable, alphabetically); Energy & Environmental LL.M. Flag Bearer; Energy & Environmental LL.M. Candidates (alphabetically); Human Rights & Social Justice LL.M. Flag Bearer; Human Rights & Social Justice LL.M. Candidates (alphabetically); Insurance LL.M. Flag Bearer; Insurance LL.M. Candidates (alphabetically); Intellectual Property & Information Governance LL.M. Flag Bearer; Intellectual Property & Information Governance LL.M. Candidates (alphabetically); U.S. LL.M. Flag Bearer; U.S. LL.M. Candidates (alphabetically); Immediate Past-President of the SBA; J.D. Candidates (alphabetically). Once inside the tent, the Floor Marshals will direct students to the correct row for seating. Make sure not to leave empty chairs between yourself and the person in front of you.
A message will be posted by 6:00 a.m. on the Law School's homepage if the rain plan is in effect.
9:00 a.m.: students should report to Janet M. Blumberg Hall for assistance with robing and folding hoods. Students should not wear their hood. It should be carried over the left forearm, with the velvet neckband on the outside. The tassel goes on the left side (the wearer’s left).
9:45 a.m.: A class photo will be taken under the tent.
10:00 a.m.: After the photo is taken, students will return to Hosmer Hall to pick up name cards at the first floor Communications Center/Reception desk.
Students will line up, in alphabetical order, in the first floor hallways of Hosmer with the beginning of the line nearest the last exit door in the International Programs section of the building. There will be letter signs in the hallways to help you find your place in line. At the conclusion of the ceremony, students will recess out the side entrance, following the platform party and faculty.
In the event of a rainy day plan, students must return rented regalia to Janet M. Blumberg Hall. Students are responsible for returning regalia as soon as possible after the ceremony. Do not take regalia off campus. Students may keep the tassel as a memento. To avoid replacement fees, please make sure your name is checked off the list before leaving campus.
During the ceremony the Law Marshal will call for the graduates to proceed to the stage.
- Upon reaching the stage to receive the diploma, student should hand their name card to the Law Marshal and wait until the name is read. Walk across the stage and shake hands with Dean Timothy Fisher and receive a diploma cover. Shake hands with any other official in the line.
- Students should proceed in front of the podium at the center of the stage where they will be directed to one of the three hooding marshals.
- Students should hand their hood to the hooding marshal. Face the audience when being hooded.
- After hooding, walk down the ramp at the end of the stage to the photography area where a professional photograph will be taken. Students will then return to their seats.
- When all candidates have returned to their seats, the Chief Marshal will ask the candidates to rise.
- There will be a toast after the conferral of the degrees. The beverage used will be a non-alcoholic sparkling cider.
- The ceremony should conclude between 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m.. Students will recess out of the tent following the platform party and the faculty.
- Robe return: Caps, gowns and hoods must be returned before leaving campus following the Commencement Ceremony. Students are allowed to keep only their tassel. Please be sure that your name is checked off the list before leaving campus to avoid replacement fees.
There will be professional photographers at the ceremony taking photographs of candidates. Student wishing to receive a color proof must have filled out the address card that will be provided at the ceremony. Proofs will be mailed to the address provided on the card. If a valid e-mail address is available to the photographer, a link to commencement photograph proofs will also be sent to participating graduates via e-mail.
GradImages® is the official photographer for Commencement. Your proofs will be available after the ceremony. To view your proofs online, please visit www.gradimages.com. Pictures may be ordered online, by phone, or by mail. If you have any questions please contact Customer Service at 800-261-2576 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Search on UConn Law Spring to preregister.)
Members of the audience using hand-held cameras may take photos during the ceremony from areas reserved for that purpose. In order to accommodate everyone, individuals are requested to move to those areas for only a short interval and then return to their seats.