Weather Closing Information for Faculty
How Campus Closures are Decided
- Closing decisions are made by the Provost's office with input from Public Safety and Facilities Operations on all campuses
- The closing decision is never made lightly, and must balance academic and safety needs.
How We Communicate about Closures
- Law School closing announcements will emailed to the Faculty list and recorded on the University's Closing Information Number: 860-468-3768. In the event that individual classes are cancelled - not a closure of the campus - this announcement will be placed on the Law School hotline: 860-570-5145.
- The University will send general announcements via text to those who have registered for the notification service at alert.uconn.edu and to the media.
- A general announcement banner may appear on the Law School website pages.
- Since the ABA requires that every cancelled class be made up, a cancellation decision may mean scheduling make-up classes on weekends or during the reading period.
- Individual faculty members who are not comfortable driving in the existing weather conditions may exercise their discretion to cancel and make up their classes. Please notify the Dean's Office if you do this.
- Individual students who are not comfortable driving in the existing weather conditions may exercise their discretion not to do so.
- Normally cars may not be left on campus overnight; any car left on campus may be towed to allow for plowing.
- If you must leave a car overnight, contact the UConn Police at 860-570-5173.
- The City of Hartford may impose on-street parking bans during snowstorms.