Set up and Rentals
If you will be setting up your own event (tables, seating, etc.), be sure to check with Ann Crawford well in advance of your event. Chairs and tables in Janet M. Blumberg Hall normally are stored behind the blackboard. Chairs and tables for use in the Reading Room normally are stored in Starr 200, in the caterer prep area, in the two hallway closets on the second floor, or locked in Room 10 in the basement.
Nameplates for the courtroom benches or for panels held in Janet M. Blumberg Hall or the Starr Reading Room are available at the Library circulation desk. Gavels are also available at the library circulation desk and can be checked out with a valide UConn Law School id. Below are links to templates to make the inserts which fit into the nameplates. Please be sure to use the following guidelines when making inserts:
- Use the same point size for all of the people on the panel using the longest name as your guide. The name, including the class year for graduates, should be on one line. When making inserts for judges, use the two line template (link below) with "The Honorable" on the first line.
- All names should be right justified.
- Do not use Mr., Ms., Professor, Dr., etc. on names as it only takes up space and makes the overall font small. All judges should be referred to as "The Honorable."
- Use Arial font.
- If you need assistance in determining class years for graduates, please contact the director of communications with a list of names.
- The single apostrophe for class years should be left facing. The key sequence in Word is (hold down the control key, strike the single quote key twice).
- Inserts print on legal sized paper.
If you will need a projector set up for a PowerPoint presentation, reserve the projector and laptop as per the instructions:
Be sure to make reservations well in advance of your event.
There is a small podium speaker in Janet M. Blumberg Hall and the Reading Room. These units have output for only the single podium microphone, not multiple microphones for a panel.
Special permission is required in order to hold a conference, symposia or similar event in the Reading Room (see room reservation directions above). The acoustics are not good, so you will need to plan on renting a sound system. D&K Sound (860.529.8353) has been here for numerous events and is familiar with the campus. Note: the SBA has a complicated sound system that you might borrow if you have someone knowledgeable about the equipment. If you borrow the equipment (many pieces and very heavy) be sure to protect the surfaces where you place the items with blankets so that the equipment does not mark the woodwork. A person from the SBA who is knowledgeable about the equipment must remain on-site for the duration of the event.
If you have a panel, you may need table skirting. Please contact the director of communications for tablecloths, runners, standing banners and a backdrop with the Law School logo on them. Tablecloths and runners borrowed need to be returned cleaned and pressed.
The Law School has a standing purchase order with Whalen's on Hurlbutt Street in West Hartford (860.953.0875). Contact Donna Gionfriddo for information.