Job Searching and Career Advice Resources
With the end of the school year almost upon us, you might want to check out some of the resources available in the library that are useful for job searching and provide tips and advice on legal and nonlegal careers. Here are just a few:
- Ask the Career Counselors: Answers for Lawyers on Their Lives and Life’s Work - this publication from the ABA Career Resource Center provides quick tips, articles, and exercises on identifying a career path, getting a job search started, crafting a resume and cover letter, handling networking, and mastering interviews.
- Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams - this guide provides detailed tips for handling cover letters, resumes, and interviews; ways to find great jobs outside of on-campus interviews; killer answers to tough interview questions; a plan for negotiating for more money; information on alternative careers; and much more.
- Nonlegal Careers for Lawyers - this ABA guidebook explains when and how to choose a nonlegal career, the specialized skills that legal training provides, and how to plan and conduct a job search. Includes information on careers in business and industry, government and public service, associations and institutions, and entrepreneurial ventures.
- NALP Directory of Legal Employers (also online at http://www.nalpdirectory.com/) - provides profiles of more than 1,700 law firms, public interest organizations, government agencies, and corporations throughout the U.S. Includes detailed information on starting salaries, primary practice areas, pro bono information, office and firm size, partnership data, work/life information, and more.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers (also online at http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/search.aspx) - contains information on lawyers and law firms by practice area, based on interviews with lawyers and clients across the country.
Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (also online at http://www.martindale.com/) - provides brief profiles of U.S. and international law firms, along with biographical information on individual attorneys.